Sunday, April 10, 2005

Mental block...

"Jika kau fikirkan kau boleh, kau pasti boleh melakukan. Jika kau fikirkan ragu-ragu, usaha tidak menentu!"

Weird as it may seem, that's been one of my life's mantra since....well...I first heard the song! Ironically, though I repeat it over and over again (to myself, and to others!), I never seem to believe it! Somehow or rather, I fail to believe that I can.

Most of my friends would know that I'm not the sporty type. Never have been. Thus, as a challenge to myself, my new year's resolution was to pick up a couple of sports! Like most things though, it's easier said than done! Announcing to the world that I'd pick up a sport or two is definitely easier than picking up a ping pong bat, or shooting hoops. Though generally I'm a confident person, I've never believed in my own sporting abilities. All my life, I've told others that, "I can't play a single sport! I'm just too unco!", "Sports isn't my kinda thing, I'd rather just read", "Play with you guys? Nah, I think I'll just sit here on the bench!". So can you imagine the incredulous look on my boyfriend's face when I joined him for a game of soccer?!?!?

A couple of night's ago, my housemates planned a lil' midnight soccer game and invited me along. I'm guessing they invited me as a spectator and not a player! Nonetheless, that didn't stop me from screaming (literally!), "I wanna play too!". The words were out of my mouth before I realised the consequences of my stupidity! Afterall, who am I to play with a bunch of guys who would no sooner jump off a building than take pity and show mercy on a female player? As you would imagine, my brains started reeling soon after I spoke those 4 words! "What do I do?", "How do I play this game?", "I can't even run!", "I don't have the stamina!".

The beginning of the game was a lil' awkward. I kept chasing after the ball but ducked as soon as a ball was headed my way. I seriously felt like giving up. Fortunately, being the supportive boyfriend that Edwin is, he said, "Just go ahead and kick them! Don't worry, it doesn't hurt! You're doing well!" Funnily enough, as soon as I stopped worrying and told myself I could, I played like a pro! That might be overstating it, but nevertheless, I played my heart out! I scored a hattrick and felt on top of the world!

So, it just goes to show that, the greatest barrier is that which lies in the mind....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

takpe. at least u play bola jaring and basketball and cheerleading (some sort of a sport rite?) cheering punapohmah x2 zikzukzik. hehe. lame i noe but it was fun!

ching

9:37 AM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

incredulous?

hahaahahahah

(i'm checking the dictionary for the meaning of 'hegemony' now... *blush*)

anyways, will only have a week in Adelaide (arriving just in time for your korkor's birthday).

doubt will have time to visit Melb. will miss you and Ed lots!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of gosh ching!! u remember punahpohmah?? hahahahhaha....

jess

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home