Monday, April 25, 2005

A response...

Just read two very interesting posts in Genie's and Jess' blogs. While reading, I felt my inner self nodding and agreeing. Seriously, before reading this post any further, have a look at theirs.

All done? Good.

You see, I've been through both their situations. Not a carbon copy ofcourse, but similar enough to know how they feel. Before I came to Monash, I seriously had doubts. Everyone told me that Monash was just another one of those over-hyped, over-sold, over-sensationalised unis, and that my degree would be looked down upon if I graduated from there. After all, before this, I was studying in the Uni of Adelaide, and if didn't have anything else to its name, it atleast had generations of credibility.

After finally making the decision to transfer to Monash, I then realised that my degree would be a totally different one! While in Adelaide, I would have graduated with a Bachelor of Media & Communications. Instead, now in Monash, I'll be graduating with a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Media and Communications & Women's Studies. Better? I didn't think so. Atleast not at first. After all, what's an arts degree in comparison to a 'real' degree, where I'd be majoring in either Advertising, Radio Production or something else which was really cool sounding. Again, a dillemma. But the deed was done and I moved to Melbourne.

During my first couple of months here, when I was finally beginning to adapt, I received news from back home that all my friends had gotten themselve some kind of job or other. My first thought was, "How unfair!". Here I am, slaving off, trying to get that degree which I'm not even proud of, and there they are, landing all my dream jobs! In fact, up til today, I can't put anything under the 'experience' section of my resume.

I was sad. No, rather, I was depressed. These negative thoughts actually forced me to do the unthinkable- have a heart-to-heart chat with my dad! For those of you who are in the know, my dad isn't exactly the kind of person you'd want to have a long chat with. He's really knowledgeable and stuff, but he's also REALLY long winded. So anyway, as the story goes, I had that chat with him. Thankfully, being the supportive person that he is, he made me realise that any education at all should be something to thank God for. So what if my uni is over-hyped? That just means that its gotten the exposure it needs. So what if my degree doesn't really make much sense? I'll just have to work harder at impressing the balls of my interviewers! So what if my friends have got experience under their belts? I'll gain mine soon enough.

You see, the bottom line is, it's a choice. It our choice whether we choose to be happy or dissatisfied with the situations we're in. At times, life is about choices (ie: me), and at times, life is just handed to you (ie: Jess). Whatever and however life is given to us, we can still make the best out of it. It just takes a lot of hard work and a lot of trust in God. It's hard to see the bigger picture now, especially when everything seems to be so different from what we planned, but that's a whole idea. It's not our job to plan, but His.

Like He said, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds in the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in barn, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?...So do not worry saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?". For the pagan run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and all these will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

As always, He's in control. Always.

2 Comments:

Blogger dunkindonuts said...

very well written! somehow i'm so obessessed with my own image these days. but im on your side on your perspective of life..

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea..very true. one doesnt need a harvard degree to be good at work anyway. so many people are not even educated till tertiary level and they could earn big moeny like no body's business. so the bottom line is that we shouldnt be worrying where we are getting our degrees (though it matters a little if we wish to impress people or something). its just another kind of passport to get us to the next level. its more important that we perform well in our work coz that is where we would be spending years doing anyway.

yc

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home