Wednesday, June 08, 2005

To Bunny or not to Bunny?

Is it just me, or is studying a really hard thing to do?

Every year I tell myself the same thing,

"Next year will be better!" "I'll start studying earlier!" "I'll make notes in class." "I'll pay attention. Promise!" "I'll go for my lectures" "No more last minute work."

Yet every year, I find myself stuck in the same situation,

"Is it due already? So soon?" "Oh no! I think I'm gonna fail!" "What do I do now? What do I do now?" "Help! Help!" "Don't freak out. Breathe..." "I'm so dead!"

Is it a necessary cycle, or am I just a sucker for the adrenaline rush? Sure, I mean the rush is exhilarating and it does get work done, but some extra time would be nice. I wouldn't mind letting my essays sit in the drawer for a couple of days before I hand them in. I wouldn't mind feeling more confident before I enter the exam hall. I wouldn't mind actually reading the books I 'supposedly' quoted from. I wouldn't mind doing some 'actual' research. Heck, I wouldn't mind the extra sleep!

So what is my problem? Maybe it's the Bunny-syndrome. Confused? Let me explain.

My rabbits (Peanut and Butter) are both really intelligent. Seriously. They are potty-trained, they know not to leave the room even when the door is left ajar, they know not to jump on the bed, they know not to spill their food, they know heaps of stuff! But there's one thing they know they shouldn't do, but do it anyway...chew on wires. To date, they've bitten off my speaker wires, my mouse wire and have attempted to chew through my handphone charger. I've tried everything from cajoling them to punishing them, but nothing seems to work! I've even set up borders around the wires, but they still manage to jump over them. I guess that's their (and my!) problem. We always end up doing what's wrong, even when we know what's right.

Or then again, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way? Maybe... I could learn a thing or two from them. Like how to be more determined and driven? Maybe the Bunny-Syndrome isn't half bad. Hmmm...*ponders* Oh well, too late for that now! Time to head the books!

I'm sure next semester will be better, right?

Here I go again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Wandernut said...

A scene in a KL ad agency.

Traffic Manager: WN, this ad is due today. We need to rush for materials tomorrow. Have you done the copy?

WN: Oh. Isn't it due next Thursday?

Traffic Manager: No. Today.

WN: Oh. (panic, mayhem, chaos). Ok, will give him my lunch time.

Lunch time.

WN: Done.

Traffic Manager: Thanks. Here's another job requisition for so-and-so client. Due next Wednesday.

WN: OK.

Job req sits on the pile of paper on my desk. Soon to be piled over by other scraps of stuff. Forgotten until Wednesday morning.

The cycle begins again.

Ah.

It takes a pro to procrastinate.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

A scene in a KL ad agency.

Traffic Manager: WN, this ad is due today. We need to rush for materials tomorrow. Have you done the copy?

WN: Oh. Isn't it due next Thursday?

Traffic Manager: No. Today.

WN: Oh. (panic, mayhem, chaos). Ok, will give him by lunch time.

Lunch time.

WN: Done.

Traffic Manager: Thanks. Here's another job requisition for so-and-so client. Due next Wednesday.

WN: OK.

Job req sits on the pile of paper on my desk. Soon to be piled over by other scraps of stuff, to be forgotten until Wednesday morning.

The cycle begins again.

Ah.

It takes a pro to procrastinate.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home