Friday, July 22, 2005

Viewing love through rose-tinted glasses...

I’m disturbed.

Earlier this evening, while driving down to the city, Ed and I were singing a Chinese song which lyrics spoke of eternal love. Being the realist that she is, my mum scoffed and said, “If anyone sang that song to me, I’d laugh!” Slightly bewildered, I questioned her.

After short pause, she answered, “There’s no such thing! Hah! I bet no one would even die for their loved ones let alone speak of eternal love!”

Quick to differ, I argued that many would willingly lay down their lives for their loved ones. After all, you see it in the movies all the time, right? Stressing her point, she said that if she were asked to die for her children, she’d do it without a moment’s thought, but to die for her spouse was out of the question. To her, people who’d die for their spouse or partner were “weird” and had a distorted perception of love. Unhappy with the answer, I then turned to Ed and asked if he’d die for me. Predictably, he said yes, gave me a peck on the forehead, shook his head and called me silly.

Am I really being silly? Is it unnatural to want to die for one’s partner or spouse? If I were to be honest, I probably wouldn’t. But then again, I’d want my boyfriend or husband to willingly die for me. Selfish, huh? My mum seems to think so.

Well, despite what she thinks, I choose to believe that such a love does exist. I choose to believe that people are willing to lay down their lives for the one they love. And I choose to believe that two people can share a love that surpasses time. So what if I choose to live in a romanticized version of life? *grin*

Oh well…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home